Niki Cotton Art

Posted 15th March 2014 in Textiles

blending my prints with stitch

10 Tags 0 Comments Leave a comment

Fishing

Fishing

This series was created by trying to find a language that married my art to my love of playing around on a sewing machine. It’s helped me find a new voice that I am really excited about. I feel weirdly like I have come home. This work triggered me to revisit my printmaking and push a medium I have always loved but have struggled to return to, I have started really pushing it recently, (to obsessive levels!), and you can see where I am going in the section marked Printmaking on this site.

Red

Red

So, to begin this series I started thinking about backgrounds, I layered up papers, paint, gesso, maps, tissue paper, melted oil pastles, fabrics and made papers. These where a great starting point that I then worked into with different ways of printmaking. The fishing image was a simple little lino cut of one of the gorgeous boats that is moored in the bay here at Rhos on Sea. I really like the newsprint peeking through the ink and the freehand machine embroidery stitched into part of it helps to create definition and roots the image better in the blue. Red is a little collograph that I constructed out of card. Again I really like the simplicity of the shape in this and the way that by adding different textured pieces of fabric in contrasting colours, that I then stitched into, helps to define the shape against the red print on the delicate tissue paper.

Map Reading

Map Reading

 

Rockpool

Rockpool

Map ReadingĀ  was a collograph made from different found textures that was then printed onto a random map of coastline (I realised after, when I loved how this had turned out, it would have been better if the map had had a relevance to here but I think it still works even though the story cant be placed to my favourite stretch of beach). I then painted onto thin strips of plastic that I shredded and layered over the image with made fabric from dyed silk cocoon strippings and pieces of plastic gridding that give what could be quite a floaty image a structured base and echos the gridding from the print at the top of the image, this again was then stitched into to give interest and quick jets of colour. Rockpool is mainly a collograph print that I then added a piece of freehand machine embroidery to, this was made with dissolvable fabric. The weirdest thing to work into and when you run it under hot water, like magic, the fabric disappears and all that is left is this delicate piece of almost ethereal stitching. It always reminds me of an anenome waiting in the shallows for the tide.

Sea

Sea

Sea got all a bit chaotic, like the sea on one of those squally days. The collograph print was worked into with strips of painted plastic and dyed cocoon strippings. This was then all stitched into and I then added some type in one of my favourite typefaces, these where then painted into with ink and finally stitched into with freehand machine embroidery.

Tide

Tide

Tide was formed with a collograh onto tissue paper, layered up with cocoon strippings, free machine embroidery on disolvable fabric and painted bondaweb (one of my favorite ways of adding distressed colour to images that I am going to stitch into). I then picked out small areas to take the eye through the picture and to define it, with some stitch, flashes of yellow and blue.

No Comments Yet

You can be the first to comment!

Add a comment

Pagination